Prosecutors: Harvard University student who didn’t want to take final exam made bomb threats

BOSTON – U.S. prosecutors say a Harvard University student trying to get out of taking a final exam made the bomb threats that led to the evacuations of four campus buildings this week.

A criminal complaint filed Tuesday by the U.S. attorney’s office says Eldo Kim sent emails saying bombs had been placed around the Cambridge, Massachusetts, campus to Harvard police, two university officials and the president of the Harvard Crimson newspaper.

The messages said shrapnel bombs would go off soon in two of the four buildings, including one where prosecutors say Kim was supposed to take an exam Monday morning. The buildings were shut down for hours before investigators determined there were no explosives.

Kim is to make an initial court appearance Wednesday. It’s unknown if he has an attorney.

News from © The Associated Press, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join the Conversation!

Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?

The Associated Press

The Associated Press is an independent global news organization dedicated to factual reporting. Founded in 1846, AP today remains the most trusted source of fast, accurate, unbiased news in all formats and the essential provider of the technology and services vital to the news business. More than half the world’s population sees AP journalism every day.