Active search ends for bodies buried in Washington state mudslide; 2 remain missing

EVERETT, Wash. – Authorities are ending the active search for bodies more than five weeks after the Washington state mudslide.

Snohomish County Sheriff Ty Trenary said Monday that it was a difficult decision because two people are still missing. So far, 41 victims have been recovered. He said 11 people were saved the day of the March 22 slide about an hour northeast of Seattle.

The painstaking search for the missing has involved hundreds of people and dogs who combed the debris field, at times digging with their hands.

County Executive John Lovick says a commission will independently review what happened before and after the slide.

Transportation officials say it could take up to three months to clear debris from the mile-long stretch of highway buried in the disaster.

News from © The Associated Press, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join the Conversation!

Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?

The Associated Press

The Associated Press is an independent global news organization dedicated to factual reporting. Founded in 1846, AP today remains the most trusted source of fast, accurate, unbiased news in all formats and the essential provider of the technology and services vital to the news business. More than half the world’s population sees AP journalism every day.