Newcastle’s Saudi owners signal commitment to club by agreeing to $260M training-ground purchase

Newcastle is investing $260 million in a training complex that will be ready to use from the 2029-30 season, a signal that its Saudi owners are still committed to the club after a raft of high-profile player sales over the past year.

There has been growing skepticism over the commitment of the Public Investment Fund — Saudi Arabia’s sovereign wealth fund that bought Newcastle in 2021 — following the exit of Alexander Isak last offseason and Bruno Guimaraes, Anthony Gordon and Sandro Tonali this summer, with the club fighting to comply with English soccer’s stricter financial rules.

Newcastle also didn’t qualify for the lucrative Champions League — a competition which brought in estimated prize money of 50 million pounds ($70 million) to the club last season — after finishing 12th in the 20-team Premier League in an underwhelming campaign under now-departed coach Eddie Howe.

PIF has also stated its intention to scale back its sports portfolio, including withdrawing financial backing for LIV Golf.

“The project represents a significant long-term investment into the club’s future by its owners PIF and RB Sports & Media,” Newcastle said in a statement.

Newcastle CEO David Hopkinson said it was a “landmark moment” for the club.

The statement said Newcastle will purchase the 260-acre Woolsington Hall estate — which includes a derelict listed country house and parkland — close to the city’s airport and build what the club describes as a “world-class training complex.”

The purchase is subject to planning permission, which will be applied for next year, and “with a view to the men’s first team moving in for the 2029-30 season.”

The site was previously purchased by former Newcastle chairman John Hall as a potential academy venue in 1994.

There is “flexibility to integrate bespoke women’s and girls’ facilities,” Newcastle said.

___

See AP’s full soccer coverage here

Newcastle's Saudi owners signal commitment to club by agreeing to $260M training-ground purchase | iNFOnews.ca
FILE – Newcastle’s head coach Eddie Howe applauds to supporters at the end the English Premier League soccer match between Arsenal and Newcastle United in London, Saturday, April 25, 2026. (AP Photo/Ian Walton, File)
Newcastle's Saudi owners signal commitment to club by agreeing to $260M training-ground purchase | iNFOnews.ca
Newcastle United’s manager Matthias Jaissle before the pre-season soccer match between Newcastle United and Bayer 04 Leverkusen in Newcastle upon Tyne, England, Saturday Aug. 15, 2026. (Richard Sellers/PA via AP)
Newcastle's Saudi owners signal commitment to club by agreeing to $260M training-ground purchase | iNFOnews.ca
FILE – Newcastle’s Bruno Guimaraes reacts after a Premier League soccer match between Newcastle United and Manchester City in Newcastle, England, Saturday, Nov. 22, 2025. (AP Photo/Jon Super, File)
Newcastle's Saudi owners signal commitment to club by agreeing to $260M training-ground purchase | iNFOnews.ca
Newcastle United’s Yoane Wissa reacts after a missed chance during the pre-season soccer match between Newcastle United and Bayer 04 Leverkusen in Newcastle upon Tyne, England, Saturday Aug. 15, 2026. (Richard Sellers/PA via AP)

News from © The Associated Press, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join the Conversation!

Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?

The Associated Press


The Associated Press is an independent global news organization dedicated to factual reporting. Founded in 1846, AP today remains the most trusted source of fast, accurate, unbiased news in all formats and the essential provider of the technology and services vital to the news business. More than half the world’s population sees AP journalism every day.