Elevate your local knowledge
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
Elevate your local knowledge
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
Select Region
Selecting your primary region ensures you get the stories that matter to you first.

HONOLULU – A report on a Hawaii siren test that drew international attention amid a North Korea missile threat shows that 28 sirens statewide played the wrong sound or had other technical problems.
The Hawaii Emergency Management Agency report says nearly 93 per cent of the state’s 386 sirens worked properly. Twelve mistakenly played an ambulance siren.
Hawaii re-introduced the Cold War-era warning siren during a test earlier this month.
Spokesman Richard Rapoza says the agency is aware people in Waikiki could barely hear it. He says all sirens in the tourist mecca functioned properly. Officials plan to reposition sirens and add more.
Another test will be done on Jan. 2. Rapoza says there will be a longer pause between the attack-warning siren and a tone for natural disasters.
News from © iNFOnews.ca, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?
You must be logged in to post a comment.