Elevate your local knowledge
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
Elevate your local knowledge
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
Select Region
Selecting your primary region ensures you get the stories that matter to you first.
CAIRO – Egypt’s military says two officers have been killed and two others wounded in fighting a part of a massive security operation against Islamic State group militants in the restive northern Sinai Peninsula and other areas.
The armed forces said in a Thursday statement that forces killed 13 militants in an exchange of fire and arrested 86 people, including “highly dangerous” militants and “criminals.”
The army says it has destroyed hundreds of targets and killed dozens of militants since the operation began Feb 9. The offensive covers north and central Sinai and parts of Egypt’s Nile Delta and the Western Desert, along with the porous border with Libya.
Thursday’s tally brings the army’s death toll to 12 so far. The figures cannot be independently confirmed as media access is severely restricted.
News from © iNFOnews.ca, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?
You must be logged in to post a comment.