Elevate your local knowledge
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
ATHENS, Greece – A defence lawyer says Greek asylum authorities have interviewed the first of eight Turkish military personnel who are seeking protection after last month’s failed military coup in Turkey.
Lawyer Stavroula Tomara promised Friday to do “whatever is humanly and legally possible” to prevent the men’s extradition to Turkey. All eight have submitted asylum applications in Greece.
Turkish authorities on Wednesday officially sought their return, accusing them of participating in the July 15 coup attempt. The six helicopter pilots and two flight mechanics deny any involvement.
They flew to the northeastern Greek city of Alexandroupolis on July 16 and say they fear they would not face a fair trial and that their lives would be at risk in Turkey.
All remain in temporary police custody. Tomara says the interviews continue Monday.
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?
You must be logged in to post a comment.