Truck attack toll in Nice hits 85 as hospitalized man dies

PARIS – The Bastille Day truck attack in Nice has claimed another life, bringing the death toll to 85.

Christian Estrosi, president of the region where the French Riviera city is located, says on Twitter that Pierre Hattermann, 56, has died.

The local Nice Matin daily said Hattermann’s wife and a 13-year-old son were killed when a truck driven by a Tunisian man barrelled down the famed Promenade des Anglais as tens of thousands gathered for the July 14 French national day celebration. The attack was claimed by the Islamic State group.

Hattermann, 56, a psychologist, died Thursday at Pasteur Hospital, the paper said. He lived in the Savoie region of eastern France and had been vacationing with his family in Nice.

News from © The Associated Press, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join the Conversation!

Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?

The Associated Press

The Associated Press is an independent global news organization dedicated to factual reporting. Founded in 1846, AP today remains the most trusted source of fast, accurate, unbiased news in all formats and the essential provider of the technology and services vital to the news business. More than half the world’s population sees AP journalism every day.