Sweden sentences man to 5 years for preparing bomb

STOCKHOLM – A Swedish court has sentenced a 20-year-old Swede to five years in prison after convicting him of preparing a terror attack by using a pressure cooker and steel bullets, among others, to make a bomb.

The Attunda District Court, north of Stockholm, says Aydin Sevigin was arrested Feb. 11 after his mother tipped off authorities after two presumed attempts to join the Islamic State group in Syria via Turkey last year.

He was sent back to Sweden where he bought liquids and objects to make a bomb.

The court said Thursday that Sevigin downloaded for information related to IS from the Internet.

Judge Mikael Swahn said his target was unknown but such a bomb “could harm Sweden.”

It was not immediately clear whether Sevigin, who denied the charges, would appeal.

News from © The Associated Press, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join the Conversation!

Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?

The Associated Press

The Associated Press is an independent global news organization dedicated to factual reporting. Founded in 1846, AP today remains the most trusted source of fast, accurate, unbiased news in all formats and the essential provider of the technology and services vital to the news business. More than half the world’s population sees AP journalism every day.