Elevate your local knowledge
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
MANTEO, N.C. – Cape Hatteras National Seashore on North Carolina’s Outer Banks is being vandalized while park staffers are furloughed during the ongoing partial federal government shutdown.
The Charlotte Observer cites a Thursday alert from the Outer Banks Preservation Association that says visitors have torn up National Park Service signs, left human waste outside bathroom and done “doughnuts in the sand” on vehicle-free beaches.
The National Park Service confirmed the incidents to the newspaper, and said human waste had been found as recently as Thursday outside two restrooms.
The association warned that NPS could deny the public access, but Cape Hatteras Superintendent David Hallac says problems haven’t risen to that level yet.
The park reopened some restrooms and picked up trash last weekend.
Other national parks across the country have reported vandalism.
—
For AP’s complete coverage of the U.S. government shutdown: https://apnews.com/GovernmentShutdown
___
Information from: The Charlotte Observer, http://www.charlotteobserver.com
News from © iNFOnews.ca, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?
You must be logged in to post a comment.