Elevate your local knowledge
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
BRUSSELS – Belgian authorities charged two men with terror-related offences Wednesday following half a dozen raids that were part of an investigation prosecutors said was not linked to past extremist attacks in Paris and Brussels.
The federal prosecutor’s office said in a statement that two Belgians were charged with “taking part in the activities of a terrorist group” after the raids in Brussels early Wednesday.
The statement says one of the raids centred on a garage where police found “three Kalashnikovs, about fifteen Kalashnikov magazines, a riot gun, three small firearms with ammunition,” police uniforms and detonators.
Another major anti-terror operation was conducted on the outskirts of Lille in northern France, 100 kilometres (62 miles) from Brussels. One man was detained in the joint Belgian-French operation.
Belgium and France are both on high alert since extremist attacks have hit Paris and Brussels over the past few years.
Belgian media said the raids centred on a bikers group, the Kamikaze Riders. Two of the group’s members were sentenced on anti-terror charges last year.
News from © iNFOnews.ca, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?
You must be logged in to post a comment.