Elevate your local knowledge

Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!

Select Region

Selecting your primary region ensures you get the stories that matter to you first.

Quebec proposes changes that could allow women over 42 to get in vitro treatment

QUEBEC – Quebec is proposing changes to its in vitro fertilization legislation that could allow women over 42 to have access to the program.

Until now Bill 20 provided for the government-financed treatment to be available only for women between the ages of 18 and 42.

Health Minister Gaetan Barrette said Tuesday the province’s college of physicians will be responsible for determining the criteria to determine who is eligible for the fertilization.

Another proposed change is the abolition of a rule that would have required women to be eligible only after signing a statement saying they had been sexually active for a long period.

Barrette said earlier this year the objective was to allow nature to take its course and to ensure that the complex and costly medical procedure was not used unnecessarily.

On Tuesday, Barrette said the regulation would have been difficult to apply.

News from © The Canadian Press, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join the Conversation!

Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?

The Canadian Press

The Canadian Press is Canada's trusted news source and leader in providing real-time, bilingual multimedia stories across print, broadcast and digital platforms.