Elevate your local knowledge
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!

QUEBEC – The Quebec government says it feels a mixture of relief and sadness at the resignation of Montreal’s embattled mayor amid a corruption scandal rocking the province.
Municipal Affairs Minister Sylvain Gaudreault and Jean-Francois Lisee, the minister responsible for Montreal, praised Gerald Tremblay for his lengthy public service and said the city has the full support of the government.
They said Premier Pauline Marois had been in touch with Tremblay on Saturday and that he informed the government of his decision to quit about an hour before he made it public.
Gaudreault says there is no intention to call a special election to replace Tremblay, who will be replaced by an interim mayor until regular elections are held in November 2013.
Tremblay, who has denied any wrongdoing, has been under intense pressure to quit in the wake of allegations of a system of kickbacks among city officials revealed at the province’s corruption inquiry.
He said he was quitting because the city had become politically paralyzed.
Tremblay insisted he was unaware of corruption in his administration and only learned about it after the fact, saying Monday that he felt betrayed by the people who had abused his trust.
Richard Bergeron, leader of the Project Montreal opposition party, says voting on the city’s revised budget should be delayed and that all municipal parties should have a place on the city’s executive committee.
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?
You must be logged in to post a comment.