Elevate your local knowledge

Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!

Select Region

Selecting your primary region ensures you get the stories that matter to you first.

Atletico Madrid stunned after its biggest loss in Europe since 2021: ‘It was really bad’

LISBON, Portugal (AP) — Atletico Madrid’s 4-0 loss at Benfica in the Champions League on Wednesday was the team’s worst defeat in Europe in three years, according to UEFA.

Diego Simeone’s team had lost by the same score to Bayern Munich in the group stage of Europe’s top club competition in 2021.

The four-goal loss to Benfica is Atletico’s joint-biggest margin of defeat in UEFA club competitions. It had previously lost by four goals five other times.

“From the start, it was really bad,” Atletico goalkeeper Jan Oblak said. “We didn’t play from the beginning until the end. They did a great job, they have a great team and they deserve to win. They did much more than us. Unfortunately for us, we we lost 4-0 and it could have been more.”

Benfica’s victory equaled the biggest winning margin by a Portuguese team against a Spanish one in a European Cup or Champions League match. It also earned the other victory, defeating Real Madrid 5-1 in February 1965.

Atletico Madrid stunned after its biggest loss in Europe since 2021: 'It was really bad' | iNFOnews.ca
Atletico Madrid’s head coach Diego Simeone reacts during of a Champions League opening phase soccer match between SL Benfica and Atletico Madrid in Lisbon, on Wednesday, Oct. 2, 2024.(AP Photo/Armando Franca)

Muhammed Kerem Akturkoglu opened the scoring in the 13th minute, and Ángel Di Maria, Alexander Bah and Orkun Kokcu added second-half goals for the Portuguese club. Di Maria and Kokcu scored off penalty kicks.

“They took advantage of all the mistakes we could have made and the truth is that they deserved to win,” Simeone said.

The uncharacteristic defeat by Atletico came after a tense Spanish league derby against Madrid on Sunday, when Atletico needed a stoppage-time goal by Ángel Correa to salvage a 1-1 draw at its Metropolitano stadium.

Atletico, usually known for its stout defense under Simeone, had last conceded four goals in a league match against Osasuna in May, when it lost 4-1 at home in its second-to-last game of the season.

Atletico had opened its Champions League campaign with a 2-1 win against Leipzig at the Metropolitano. It had only one win in its next three league matches after that.

Atletico Madrid stunned after its biggest loss in Europe since 2021: 'It was really bad' | iNFOnews.ca
Atletico Madrid’s head coach Diego Simeone gives instructions to his players during of a Champions League opening phase soccer match between SL Benfica and Atletico Madrid in Lisbon, on Wednesday, Oct. 2, 2024.(AP Photo/Armando Franca)

The club will have to close part of its stadium for three matches because of fan trouble in the derby against Madrid, when some of its supporters threw objects on the field after Madrid scored a goal, prompting the referee to send the players to the locker rooms and interrupting the game for more than 15 minutes.

Atletico Madrid stunned after its biggest loss in Europe since 2021: 'It was really bad' | iNFOnews.ca
Atletico Madrid’s Jose Gimenez walks on the pitch after the end of a Champions League opening phase soccer match between SL Benfica and Atletico Madrid in Lisbon, on Wednesday, Oct. 2, 2024. Benfica won 4-0.(AP Photo/Armando Franca)
Atletico Madrid stunned after its biggest loss in Europe since 2021: 'It was really bad' | iNFOnews.ca
Atletico Madrid’s Nahuel Molina, centre, and teammates applaud to the fans after the end of a Champions League opening phase soccer match between SL Benfica and Atletico Madrid in Lisbon, on Wednesday, Oct. 2, 2024. Benfica won 4-0.(AP Photo/Armando Franca)
Atletico Madrid stunned after its biggest loss in Europe since 2021: 'It was really bad' | iNFOnews.ca
Benfica’s Alexander Bah, forth right, celebrates after scoring his sides third goal during a Champions League opening phase soccer match between SL Benfica and Atletico Madrid in Lisbon, on Wednesday, Oct. 2, 2024.(AP Photo/Armando Franca)
Atletico Madrid stunned after its biggest loss in Europe since 2021: 'It was really bad' | iNFOnews.ca
Atletico Madrid’s head coach Diego Simeone looks on before the kick off of a Champions League opening phase soccer match between SL Benfica and Atletico Madrid in Lisbon, on Wednesday, Oct. 2, 2024.(AP Photo/Armando Franca)

___

AP soccer: https://apnews.com/hub/soccer

News from © The Associated Press, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join the Conversation!

Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?

The Associated Press

The Associated Press is an independent global news organization dedicated to factual reporting. Founded in 1846, AP today remains the most trusted source of fast, accurate, unbiased news in all formats and the essential provider of the technology and services vital to the news business. More than half the world’s population sees AP journalism every day.