Elevate your local knowledge
Sign up for the iNFOnews newsletter today!
RICHMOND, Va. – A Virginia man described by prosecutors as a supporter of the Islamic State group has been sentenced to an additional 16 years in prison.
The Richmond Times-Dispatch reports 29-year-old Casey Charles Spain learned Wednesday that he would be serving time for violating the terms of his probation. That’s on top of the decade in prison he received in February on a handgun charge.
Spain had been released from prison on Aug. 11, 2017, after serving seven years for an abduction conviction. Prosecutor Matthew C. Ackley says Spain committed a series of probation violations in the 20 days between his release and his arrest in a FBI sting.
Spain’s attorney, Brian Lambert, says Spain had acknowledged showing interest in Islamic State teachings, but evidence couldn’t prove he was guilty of terrorism charges.
___
Information from: Richmond Times-Dispatch, http://www.richmond.com
News from © iNFOnews.ca, . All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Want to share your thoughts, add context, or connect with others in your community?
You must be logged in to post a comment.